"Establish and develop group comprehensiveness around shared goals while discipline members to greater maturity. Faithfully implementing and participating in outreach and evangelism on a daily bases. Actively educating members to a higher spiritual level. Providing social services ministries with love that will meet the needs of all ethnicities"1954-2009 Church History
Heb. 5:12-14, Luke 9:23; 18:1, Psalms 1:3, Joshua 1:7-8, Matt 25: 35-36, Gen 4:9
The Divine will of God guided by the Holy Spirit, brought forth a vision to plant a ministry that would comfort the mourning, strengthen the weak, shelter the homeless, pray for the needy and make disciples for Christ. Therefore with the strong hand of God in October 1954, the moderator of the Southwest Central District Association, the late Rev. Sykes organized the New Hope Baptist Church. The late Rev D.W. Taylor who served as the Pastor, Rev N. J. Wilson aided him with the first service, which was held in the home of Brother and Sister W.H. Kittling on Hwy #3. The church was so spirit filled that it grew strong in a short period of time. In order to accommodate the growth Pastor Wilson received permission to conduct church in two locations. One of the services was held at the Old St James A.M.E. Church located at 27th and Ave H and New Jerusalem Baptist Church on the corner of Deats Rd and Ave F. Every Sunday after the host church would finish there service Pastor Wilson would lead the New Hope Church Service with a spirit filled service. In 1955 the spiritual momentum of the New Hope Church enabled them to purchase two lots. A tent was erected and the congregation continued to grow. The plans for a building began. The late Rev Lewis Maxey a junior Pastor of the church laid the foundation along with him were the first deacons of the church. Bro Sherman Gentry, Dave Ray, W.H.Kittling, C Brockett and the sister as well.
When it was time too move forward with the new church, Richard Taylor Construction Company was contracted too complete the building. The building was completed in 1956 with a new name Greater New Hope Missionary Baptist Church The Rev N. J. Wilson served as founder / Pastor until January 26, 1961 when God called him from labor to reward. The Associate Ministers under the leadership of Pastor Wilson were Profay Floyd, Lewis Maxey, Dave Ray and Clarence Guyton.
Rev. Ernest Wisby accepted the pastoral ship until his death in July 1965, Under the leadership of Rev. Wisby were Ernest Hall, Hosea Henderson, L. L. Stanford and Joe Briscoe. In 1965 through 1968 the late Rev. R. l. Washington served as Pastor, his deacons were Willie Shilfield, Lowe Gaines, T. C. Limscomb, James Rigsby, and Melvin Dobbins. The Rev. Frank Celestine accepted the call as Pastor and served from February 1968 until February 1984. Under his leadership a new building was erected and the congregation continued to grow. In 1981 a Fellowship Hall and Cafeteria were built. The new building was dedicated on the 28th Anniversary of the church. There were three men accepted their calling into the ministry of Pastor Frank Celestine. Rev. Chester Smith, Jr., Rev Marshall White, and Rev Leroy Woodard. Eight men appointed to the office of deacons. Rufus Mitchell, Percy Smith, Carl Moses Milton McQuillon, Mack Nunn, Melvin Smith, Chester Smith, Sr., and Willie Davis.
Accomplishments under the pastoral ship of Dr. William H. King III includes acquisition of the Genesis Center (the Genesis Center includes six classrooms and a exercise facility), Expansion of the Church scholarship program (Ernest Hall Scholarship), hosting the 1st, 2nd and 5th Inaugural Annual Session of the American Baptist General Convention of Texas Congress of Christian Workers, State Youth Convention. Naming of the Fellowship Hall too Dorothy Mitchell- Charles Mathews Center. Opening of the Greater New Hope Christian Academy. In 2004 the Ministry of Health and Wellness, The Greater New Hope Community Development Housing Ministry. In December 2005 the church voted to proceed with the construction of a Family Life Center Facility on the corner of 18th St and Hwy #3. Greater New Hope Missionary Baptist Church, Food Pantry. On July 26, 2009 Greater New Hope will enter into there new home Greater New Hope Missionary Baptist Church/ Family Life Center